18 November 2014

Tomezoe:Sake

Tomezoe started this morning with the addition of 20 oz of more koji. This evening I set aside the final five pounds of rice (10 cups) to soak. Tomorrow night I will steam the soaked rice in batches. I'm really getting my money's worth on this steamer. I think I've learned the best approach for this steamer too. The steamer must be propped on the edge of a large water filled pan. Soaking the cheese cloth or fabric before putting the rice on top prevents it from sticking.

Newsflash: I tasted the moto this evening and it tastes amazing! Sweet, yeasty, floral. I am beside myself with joy. I can hardly wait to get to Yodan.

I plan on starting another batch on Thanksgiving weekend and another on Christmas weekend.

Interesting note:
At the time, sake was brewed only 5 times a year. Each sake, brewed in different season, had its name and were called "Shinsyu", "Aisyu", "Kanmaezake", "Kanzake" and "Haruzake". "Shinsyu" was brewed around the autumn equinoctial week. "Aisyu" was brewed in the season between "Shinsyu" and "Kanmaezake". "Kanmaezake" was literally brewed just before winter. "Kanzake" was brewed in the depth of winter, and "Haruzake" was brewed in spring. Not surprisingly, it was hard to beat "Kanzake" for its quality and flavor. kikusui-sake
Sake and Rice

 In this vein, my batch would be classified as "Aisy" sake. I started it after the first day of Fall and before the first day of Winter. My Christmas brew will be "Kanmaezake". I'm curious to see how these all compare.